DTs are life-threatening and the reason alcohol detox NEEDS TO BE DONE IN A MEDICAL DETOX
What is delirium tremens?
Delirium tremens (the DTs) is a severe reaction to withdrawal from alcohol. Delirium tremens can be deadly. The DTs usually start 24 to 72 hours after a person who is dependent on alcohol either stops or limits drinking.
What is the cause?
Chronic drinking changes the way the body and brain work. When you drink less or completely stop drinking, your body and brain chemistry change again. While you are going through these changes, you suffer severe reactions.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of the DTs include:
- nightmares (along with feeling like you can’t breathe)
- anxiety or panic attacks
- tremors or shakes
- restlessness and inability to sleep
- delusions (believing things that are not true)
- hallucinations (hearing or seeing things that are not there)
- disturbed behavior
- confusion and disorientation
- rapid heartbeat
- dilated pupils
How is it diagnosed?
Delirium tremens is a medical emergency…
View original post 355 more words